Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most popular questions we get regarding Restyle Junkie and all our services. Didn’t find the answer you were looking for? Call us at 623-580-5222 or get in touch online to see if we can help.
What are your store hours?
Our hours are mostly…
Sometimes, we'll be there after-hours working on some cabinet refinishing or other projects. You may want to call ahead (623.580.5222) to make sure we’re in, or to schedule an appointment.
Where are you located?
625 W. Deer Valley Rd #108
Phoenix, AZ 85027
We’re in the Flight Center at 7th and Deer Valley, across from the airport and directly next door to Subway.
From the 101, exit at 7th Avenue and go North to Deer Valley Rd.
From I-17, exit at Deer Valley Rd and go East.
What do you sell?
- Cabinet refinishing services: We are professional cabinet refinishing experts who refinish cabinets with paint or stain.
- Distressed wood (a.k.a. barn wood): We make new wood look like distressed wood by adding texture, paint and stain.
- Know-how: Ready to try your hand at DIY cabinet painting and other refinishing projects? Check out our DIY video tutorials [link to DIY videos] if you want to know exactly how we paint cabinets. It’s our step-by-step guide on how to refinish kitchen cabinets from start to finish (including a supply list).
- Paint & stain: We sell General Finishes milk paint, gel stains and top coats for your own DIY products. Come by the showroom to buy what you need for your project, we even stock gallons.
- One-of-a-kind looks: We do specialty finishes that can include repainting wood furniture and other wood items that need a makeover. This is a custom service, so please call or come in to find out if we can help.
No matter what you’re looking to do, calling us is a good start, 623.580.5222. If you have a project in mind, we can tell you if it’s something we can do for you. If you’re looking for distressed wood planks for sale, come in to the showroom to see the possibilities.
Our cabinet refinishing service clients tend to be in the Glendale, Peoria, Northwest Phoenix, Arrowhead, Scottsdale, Cave Creek, and Paradise Valley areas.
Yes. There are a couple options on this one.
- Come into the shop and see boat loads of samples of all types of projects on display.
- Looking for something specific before committing to a project? Project samples can be created for a small fee (samples are typically included as part of contracted cabinet-refinishing services).
- Already hired us? Sample creation comes after a contract is signed and before work begins to ensure we’re on the same page.
We don’t think the products we use are overwhelmingly scented, but some people are more sensitive to smells. We make every attempt to use low-VOC products to keep scents (and environmental impact) to a minimum.
That’s totally up to you. You don’t have to remove all the contents, but there will be dust involved. It all depends on how you feel about dusting.
Drawer fronts are removed with an electric screwdriver. To get that done, we need to have room in those drawers to position the screwdriver. This is always a good opportunity to do a bit of reorganizing!
Because we prep our surfaces before painting, sanding is necessary and some dust will get on your items. Our cabinet painting service often includes working around loaded vanities and buffets. It really comes down to whether you’d rather unload (and reload) the cabinets or dust the contents afterward. Completely your call as long as there’s about 6 inches of clearance at the front.
We do our professional cabinet refinishing at our studio on Deer Valley Road. That means we load up all your doors and drawer fronts and take them back to our studio. Then we prep, paint, distress, glaze—whatever is part of your project—and return everything to your home. You may be amazed at our labeling abilities. Every cabinet door and drawer will be returned to its exact location in your home.
We’re so glad you asked! We’ve got a handy quote request form right here on our site that you can use to send us all your details. We’ll email you back your free estimate.
To be able to give you a quote, please provide the following:
- Pictures of the kitchen or bathroom that is getting the makeover
- Count of all the doors and drawers (even the ones that don’t open, you’ll want those painted too)
- What kind of finish you are thinking about
- Where you are located
If that all sounds like a lot of work, no worries, we can come out to your home for an in-home consultation to gather all this info in person. Our in-home consultation fee is $125 and that cost can be applied towards the cost of your refinishing if you decide to hire us for the job.
But of course. Oh, you were looking for more than just my professional opinion? To be fair, you aren’t the first one with that question.
I’ve detailed out all the reasons why we choose General Finishes for our projects in my book, The Confident DIY Painter. Grab your free copy at www.theconfidentdiypainter.com.
The folks at General Finishes have created written instructions on how to use their products that we can give to you when you come into the shop. Or, you can get that information online on General Finishes website along with numerous painting demos and other videos on their YouTube channel.
However, if you'd like to know EXACTLY how Restyle Junkie paints cabinets, we’ve put together a complete video tutorial sharing all of our tips and tricks [link to main tutorial video], including a supply list. You'll get all the info you ever wanted that we just don’t have the time or space to share with you when you stop by the showroom.
Nope, but we sure love using and selling their products!
Rachel is a celebrity speaker at their events, but isn’t an employee of their company. If you have specific questions regarding their projects, we suggest you send them a message as they love to respond to your questions.
Our distressed wood or make-it-yourself barn wood can be purchased from us 3 different ways:
- Completely done – tell us how you want it to look and you go home with the finished product
- Just textured – we’ll run the wood through our fancy ripper machine to give it that desired texture. You take it home and stain it the color you want.
- BYOW – that’s Bring Your Own Wood for those new to the scene. You bring us your wood and we can texture it, or texture and finish it.
Other important info to know about purchasing distressed wood:
- All of our prices are by the linear foot. Let's face it, it's easier to calculate than board foot (and if none of that makes sense to you, don’t worry, we can help you figure out how much you need).
- If you bring in the dimensions of the space you are trying to cover, we'd be happy to help calculate how many you need.
- Our price sheet has typical sizes, but if you need another length or width, let us know.
- We can only run softer woods through the machine to get the best result, pine or Douglas Fir. Wood must be even and less than 22" wide.
- You can bring in wood that you've purchased and we will run through at $1/linear foot with a minimum job of $20.
- We sell the wood by the plank. Since we aren’t a carpenter shop, we do not cut custom sizes.
- If you can dream up the color scheme, we can pretty much make it come true.
Here at Restyle Junkie, we like to say that our distressed wood has all the character of 100 years without the exposure to the elements.
Here’s my top 4 reasons why using distressed wood is better than using real barn wood:
- Seriously, new wood is uninhabited, and old wood can have mold, fungus, spiders or something else calling it home.
- No waste. New wood doesn’t crumble like old barn wood often does. You can be assured that all the wood you purchased is usable.
- New wood is easy to work with. It is flat and even. Much easier to cut, build with or install using a nail gun.
- You can always get more. When working with real barn wood, there’s a risk that you may not have enough to finish your job. That’s never a concern when using distressed wood.